The standard homestead exemption for the state of Georgia is $2,000; Bibb County offers an additional $5,000 exemption. Additional exemptions based on certain age and income requirements are available. Requirements for the standard exemption are:
- That you own and occupy the residence in question on January 01 of the year the exemption is sought.
- That you consider the residence to be your primary residence.
- That you file for the exemption prior to April 1st.
- That you claim only one homestead exemption for an immediate family.
- If approved, you need only apply in the initial year; the exemption will continue until requirements are not met.
For additional information on exemptions visit the Georgia Department of Revenue Property Tax Division page on exemptions.